Friday, September 27, 2013

Pssst, I Haven't bought laundry soap in almost a year! I make my own =)

Yes, you read the heading correctly. I haven't bought laundry soap since about January of this year. I also haven't bought dishwasher detergent since about March. For two reason, One: I am trying to get away from as many unnecessary chemicals in my family's life. Do you know what is in laundry soap? Or better yet, can you even pronounce it? I know I can't.  I make many things from scratch and eat processed food as little as possible, so why wouldn't I do the same in other area's of my life?
Two: This is probably  the most important reason.  I rather spend the money on FABRIC! ( shhhh don't tell Mr. Wolf lol) Here is the numbers for all you penny savers:
I use to use A certain brand of sensitive skin laundry soap. 
$7.88 for 150 oz. Which is a 100 loads.  With a family of 5, that last about a month.  On Wal-Marts site it says it cost about 12 cents a load. 
Ok. First before I go further, This is NOT my idea. I have tweaked it from the original poster ( or where I found the recipe) Here is a link to that page, http://www.icanteachmychild.com/2011/02/make-it-homemade-liquid-laundry-soap-1/ 
I have to give credit where it is due =)
Now, where was I? Oh yea, So you will need 3 things to make your own laundry soap- 4 if you want it to smell a certain way.

Arm & Hammer Washing Soda was  $3.88 ish
Mule Team Borax was $3.88ish
and Zote was $0.94  
I rounded everything up which is where I get my $9.00 total from. 
I shaved the Zote up,  added 4 cups of water and boiled it until it was a smooth and all the Zote was melted. I stirred it often for about 10 min. 
While this was melting, ( this is where my recipe difference from www.icanteachmychild.com ) I added 2 cups of Arm & Hammer Washing Soda and 1 1/2 cups of Borax to the 5 gallon bucket with hot water. 

I mixed this then added the Zote straight from the stove. Don't worry if there is soap on the bottom of your pot, a little hot water and slight scrub will get it off.  I then filled the bucket with hot water.
And mixed. You will need something that goes all the way to the bottom of the bucket. I will be investing in a paint paddle for my drill, but today I used a pizza thingy. 
I stirred it well then put the cover on the bucket and let it sit all day. After dinner, I stirred it up again and was ready to make up my batches of soap. 
As you can see after sitting all day it is basically soap jello ( the pizza thingy is not being held by anyone lol) To break up the jello into something that pours, I used my hands and the pizza thingy. 
It is still a little clumpy but easy to force through a funnel into your chosen containers. 
The soap in the bucket is concentrated. So I filled my containers half with the concentrate and half with HOT water. If you are using a gallon jug it works out to be 8 cups of concentrate and 8 cups of water. I made all 3 here. The two laundry container are going downstairs to the laundry room, the gallon jug is what I use in my dishwasher. Total time was about 30 min ( split between making and mixing).
It cost $9.00 to make 10 gallons of soap or 1280 oz. Which means that every ounce of soap cost me...wait for it .007 cents. Not bad. And I am not even taking into account that if I buy more Zote, I still have enough of the washing soda and borax to make more.  
There you have it. How I haven't bought laundry soap in almost a year. And for those of you who are wondering. It is low suds so it can be used in HE washers. (I own Samsung HE washer and dryer so personally tested). Clothes come out clean. My DMIL is sensitive to everything, and hasn't had a problem since I switched. And my dishes are clean also. 
Instructions on using the DIY Laundry and dishwasher soap.
For clothes, I use the cap that comes with my old laundry bottles. 
For dishwasher, I fill the little compartments. ( I haven't replaced my dishwasher yet so it is old lol). 
I do not measure the reason is, my daughter does dish's as her chore so simple is good. And I am not always the one who does the laundry. Mamaw Wolf and Mr. Wolf does their fair share, and once again, simple is good. 
Sorry that this is such a long post. I hope you enjoy and it made sense. Feel free to leave a comment or ask me a question. <3


No comments:

Post a Comment